Thursday 16 June 2011

The Three Bears

I've been thinking lately about ideas for our third year film and I think I've hit on something that we could all get our teeth into. Retelling The Three Bears. Now, before I outline the plot here's a link to a mood board I've made for the project to give an idea of how I think it should look; Click Here



Premise:
I’d like to reinvent the story of The Three Bears, returning to the original depiction of a horrible old woman instead of a greedy little girl. I’ve thought of names for the bears but I’m not sure how to tread the line of anthropomorphism. I’m not keen on the quaint depictions of their house but I’d still quite like it to be humanised. If we could work in a human head mounted about a fireplace that’d be awesome.
Story:
Basically, the old woman is a thief who loves gold. I thought we could introduce this with her being run out of a town, to explain her presence in the woods. The woods should be a intimidating place. Once she is well into the woods she can marvel at what gold she managed to escape with but also feel hungry. She is disturbed by Father and Baby who are out foraging. Baby is retrieving honey from a beehive with Father watching. Lock sees this and instantly wants the honey, to eat and also because of its golden colour. Baby breaks open the hive (like a coconut) and lets the honey drip down to Father who collects it in a container. They retreat into the forest and locks follows.
Mother is gutting and deboning fish then throwing them into a pot on the fire. Father and Baby return and eat their fish supper, the honey left on the windowsill where Lock is peeking. When the bears go to sleep, Lock wakes up and breaks into the bears’ house.
Lock goes in with the intention of just taking the container (I’m thinking maybe a jar) and leaving but can’t resist opening it there and then. She stuffs her face with honey and the smell wakes up the bears. Quite obvious where it’s going but I’m not sure how to tackle the ending. Think is would be great as the credits are rolling that we have a montage of the bears finding Lock’s gold, taking it to a taxidermist and getting her head mounted. =D

All this is up in the air at the moment so story development, different set up, ANYTHING is on the table. Apart from making it twee. Here's a couple of sketches that I did to, will include more later.


The mother bear isn't particularly good but I like father bear and baby bear.



Edit: This animation could start with a stag running through the forest =P

No comments:

Post a Comment